Thursday, October 16, 2014

Second Playthrough | Christmas 1994 - NES Time!

This was under the tree for me on Christmas morning!
Unforunately I no longer have the box (for the console or games) this is a picture from Nintendoage.com

The NES was over 8 years old when I got it Christmas morning 1994. I'm not sure why my parents didn't get the redesigned NES (unless that had already been discontinued by the time) but I'm sure the NES's ~$50 price tag for that holiday season was the reason it was appealing to them as a gift for me. I of course had no idea, nor would I have cared that it was old - that just meant there were more games out for it!

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
The first up was Super Mario Bros. 3 - the game came packaged in with the console (it had 'Challenge Set Not For Resale' on the box, but the cart was the same as other SMB3 carts inside). This was an awesome experience for me. I had played both Mario Game Boy games (and Donkey Kong where you play as Mario) but this was on the TV and in color! I had a blast and can still remember distinctly where and how to get all three whistles! The Raccoon tail (Tanookie suit is I think its official name) is the second best Mario power-up in my opinion next to the Super Cape. I would later play the first and second mario games (and of course the later Mario games on many different consoles) and Super Mario World would eventually find its place as my favorite, but SMB3 is still a close second and holds a special place in my heart.

2. The Legend of Zelda
Zelda was another game I had recently played the Game Boy version of before moving back to the NES/TV and getting the grander - albeit older experience. Having played another Zelda I knew some of what was going on, but even then I was amazed at how little the game led you and just expected you to figure out. I have played many Zelda games since (Link to the Past is still my favorite) but I think its interesting that the first few that I played either didn't have the triforce (Link's Awakening) or it was in 8 pieces instead of 3 (kinda, 3 main pieces but 8 fragments) (Original), also no master sword in either game. This is the game that started probably the most epic gaming series of all time - if you somehow haven't played it I highly recommend it.

3. Kirby's Adventure
Kirby was a revelation for me on the NES, I didn't play it much initially (what with Mario and Zelda I had very little time) but when I finally got around to popping it in the NES I was quite excited. I very much enjoyed Kirby's Dreamland on the Game Boy, and while this followed a lot of the same gameplay mechanics (while improving on them) it was also in color and had saves! It also introduced Kirby's ability to swallow enemies (instead of only being able to spit them out) and in the process gaining some power or ability from the enemy. While it was overshadowed by my other games I had great fun playing Kirby's Adventure and it holds up better than a lot of NES games.

Further Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment