Saturday, October 11, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS - Continuing to Unlock Characters

Continuing to Unlock Character and start to feel out what characters I want to get good with.
I played for another couple hours on Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS Thursday and Friday evenings, and unlocked a few more characters.

1. Dark Pit
I unlocked Dark Pit after 50 matches, I happened to be playing King DeDeDe, so the battle wasn't the easiest (I'm not the best with him and Dark Pit is much more mobile) but I eventually took him down. I don't play Pit much so I doubt I'll play Dark Pit much. I'll explore him some as there has to be a reason they put him in, but I really think the spot could have been better used.

2. Dr. Mario
The next to unlock (at 60 matches) was Dr. Mario. I happened to be playing with Little Mac at the time so the match was pretty one sided and he went down easily. Similar to Dark Pit vs. Pit I'm really not sure why Dr. Mario isn't just a skin for Mario, but I'll play him some to feel him out - I don't play with Mario much though so I doubt he'll get much play time when I'm not doing randoms.

3. ROB
I'm embarrased to say, I was playing as Lucina when I first unlocked the match to get ROB (at 70 matches) and lost! I got him on the second try with Link (I was playing random character matches) but the whole thing (along with my general ineptitude with Lucina) has made me reconsider her for one of my mains.

4. Gannondorf
I unlocked Gannondorf at 80 matches, I forget who I was playing with when I did, but I immediately did a match as him and was pleasently surprised with the subtle changes from Brawl. His moved are a little quicker and/or more easily timed - I think it's obvious they did some work on his rythm.

My Team

I am slowly trying to decide who to incorporate as my 'mains' for this version of Super Smash Bros. I almost always just play random character matches to try to get good with just about everyone and on any map, but when I start playing with friends that also start getting good I usually pick about 3 characters to get better with.

In Melee I did Bowser, Link and Pikachu. Sometimes Fox, Marth or Roy and Zelda. I was also pretty good with Samus, Jigglypuff (who isn't), Kirby, Ness and several others.

In Brawl I loved Ike, Meta Knight and Pikachu. I didn't like how the paced Bowser in Melee (although he seems a little better on the 3DS!). I got pretty good with all the same characters from Melee in Brawl along with most notably Wolf and Snake.

For this go round, I am going to put a lot of time and effort into picking a good main team. I won't know until I have the Wii U version and have played with it for a while, but right now my team is looking like these: 

Ike, Little Mac and Mega Man
Mega Man is simply a blast to play, and Little Mac is a beast. After I lost confidence in Lucina I explored Robin and Marth but Ike kept shining through (I loved him in Brawl and I'm rediscovering why).

Meta Knight and Bowser
Meta Knight and Bowser (both characters I have loved in the past) I expect also will get a good amount of play time. I like how they rebalanced Bowser, and Meta Knight is quite fun to play (his up+B is so much better!). Special mention also goes to Kirby (who's Final Smash is awesome now, when it was kinda lame in Brawl).

No comments:

Post a Comment