Sunday, October 12, 2014

Second Playthrough | Fall 1994 - More Gameboy Goodness

The fall of 1994 saw me add several more awesome Game Boy games to my collection.
Last Time we talked about my Birthday in 1994 where I got several awesome Game Boy games, but more importantly I started to get a weekly allowance - and I immediately used it to aquire several more Game Boy games between my birthday (in August) and Christmas.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Super Mario, Metroid and Zelda - these were the pillars of Nintendo (pre-Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash, etc.) and I have a fairly unique viewpoint having played the Game Boy versions of the games before the NES versions. Link's Awakening was an amazing game on the Game Boy, once again it had a save function (my first besides Donkey Kong for the Game Boy) and it was an expansive experience. I spent hours, days even, exploring the island, solving the puzzles in the dungeons and having tons of fun. Link's Awakening had been out for over a year (released in NA, August 1993) and was the 4th in the series, but the first for me.

2. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
If you loved Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES or Super Mario World on SNES, then Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is for you. It plays very similar to those console games and features many of the same improvements over the original Super Mario Bros (overworld, left or right movement, same 3 basic power ups: Super Mushroom, Fireflower, Starman). The game has a unique powerup, the Magic Carrot that turns Mario into Bunny Mario that allows multiple jumps and floating. This game introduced Wario as the main villain who took over 'Mario Land' while Mario was away taking on Bowser in the first Super Mario Land game. I loved this game, it saved as well (I was starting to get spoiled with saving games!) and it was great fun switching between Mario and Link's adventures that fall.

3. Metroid II: Return of Samus
The final game I got just a few weeks before Christmas in 1994 was Metroid II: Return of Samus. I played this game for nearly 3 weeks straight trying to make sure I beat it before Christmas (when I knew I would be getting more games!) it had a save function but I barely used it! (later I would play the original and wish for it). 

I have been asked repeatedly in the last few years by friends why I stick with Nintendo as a fan, and I will admit that at times their stances on things and their sluggish movement can be aggravating - but it's all about the games and the fall of 1994 was one of the first times (but certainly not the last) where I was blown away with great game after great game. Zelda, Mario and Metroid here on the Game Boy would blow me away again on both the NES and SNES (an each in their own ways on later systems). Combined with the literally dozens of other great series that Nintendo has, is it any wonder that I am a fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment